a disaster of magnanimous proportion averted!(almost)

For those of you who didn't know I had started my long epic journey to finally fulfil my 18 year ambition of, getting a license.(blind-man-driving-watch-out) And for those of you who have a license or are looking forward to have a license, you must know that, one has to pass a learners test to actually start instruction on how to drive. And one week since the start of my driving class the instructor gave me my license application form with a learners test appointment form pinned to it. He also gave me strict orders to go and attend the test and asked me if I studied every question from the booklet he gave me when I started the classes. I said yeah sure I'll pass the test easily I'm totally prepared.(of course at that moment I was making a strong mental note to find that booklet from its current location where ever it may have been. who knew the book actually had a use? and I thought the test would be in a month or so) At home,3 hours and a lot of turning and throwing later, the frantic search finally paid off- I had the booklet in my hand (well, at least some pages from it.) I had to go to great lengths get that book, because the learners tests are usually in Malayalam and rare circumstances(like mine,where the person taking the test doesn't speak mallayalam) only saw the test being turned to English, and so for an English test you need an English text book.
                                                                I went to the RTO office early at around 10 am but what I didn't know was that my test was scheduled an hour earlier than my early arrival.It was written on the form. (in malayalam, so not my fault) But the nice officer forgave me and told me I was lucky that the guy conducting the computerised test was still there. (all these years when I need luck it's nowhere to be seen, but when I absolutely don't need any, it barges in like an unfriendly guest you can't throw out.) My grand modus operandi for the test was that, I would have a one hour or at least half an hour's delay to the test by which time I can read the booklet for the very first time and have an idea on what the test was about.(all my fellow students said they had at least an hour's delay to the test, but life picked the wrong time for me to be lucky) So before I tell you what happened at the test let me describe the test itself! It's a test conducted in a separate cabin with 4 computers, we get to pick one computer and there we have a series of 20 question out of which we need to get at least 12 questions right. Sounds easy enough doesn't it? not when you haven't the remotest idea about the questions being asked.
                                    The test guy first gave me a malayalam question series, I explained to him the sad, embarrassing fact that I can't read my own mother tongue.And I had the English test on my screen after 2 minutes. the guy conducting the test left to talk with the guys in the office about the elections, which was to be held the following weeks. So there I was sitting alone and utterly clueless in the cabin with the plastic bag in which I brought my license application, my voters card for identity reference and of course the booklet.(the thought of copying did cross my mind but I was resolute and feelings of guilt overruled my strong urge to cheat the test.) While answering the test we have 3 options for each question, we pick the number of the correct option and press enter. I answered 5 questions without a glitch and thought to myself "this test is way too easy". But the thought was replaced the very second with absolute panic when I looked at the top of the screen and saw "questions answered correctly:0" my heart skipped a beat. So promptly I did the reasonable thing and took out the booklet and thought to myself survival first, feelings of remorse later. even with the text book in hand I got to the 12 question correctly answered mark, with the very last question. I got another 3 questions wrong. so with a heart beat rate well above normal I called the test guy, who stuck two stickers in one of the page in the license application form with the title "learners license". Then I had to show the original certificates like my birth certificate and my 10th standard mark sheet to the RTO officer, but of course to make any situation that much harder, I forgot to bring them. And I pretended to be the" innocent kid from another state who spoke very poor malayalam and wasn't explained of all the rules properly by the instructor". And the guy brought it, he told me to just bring the originals of the certificates on the day, when they call for drivers test at the grounds. So thus I got my learners license and am looking forward to make a royal mess out of my final drivers test. will keep you posted on the topic!


CHECK OUT IS INDIA CLOSER TO 2020 DREAM?

1 comment: